Thaxted Rangers Senior First Team
Thur 17 May: Thaxted Rangers 2 v Clare Town 5

Thur 10 May: Steeple Morden 3 v Thaxted Rangers 1

Having finished the home league campaign at the weekend, Thaxted had to make the long journey for a midweek fixture that had little impact on the League. Travel disruptions meant a number of players arrived late and there were also many absentees.
Thaxted never really got going in the game and it was the home side who were far hungrier. The bar and last ditch clearances had kept Thaxted's goal in tact in the first half and at the break it was goalless.
The second half and the home side went in front with a well worked goal, they then went further in front, before Shane Vince got Thaxted back in it, notching at the far post. The home side though quickly restored their two goal cushion and that's the way it stayed.
Thaxted still have a Hundon Cup Semi Final to look forward to as the season draws to a close.
R Webster, , M Williams, A King, S Vince, D Warwick, T Sansom, A Macdowell (capt), K Lock, L Palmer, C Daniels, M Doble
Sub: S Mead
Goal: S Vince

Sat 5 May: Thaxted Rangers 5 v Debden 0

It was party time for Thaxted at the weekend, following confirmed promotion in the week and the last home game of the season. The visitors added a nice edge, local rivals Debden. Thaxted's home record has been incredible this season, only 1 defeat, the very first game of the season and 1 draw against champions West Wratting, the rest all victories and that wasn't about to change today.
In buoyant mood, Thaxted took the game straight to Debden, although it was the visitors who came close in the opening minutes when Shane Vince's clearance nearly ended up in the back of the Thaxted net. However, within 15 minutes Charlie Daniels had grabbed a brace and Thaxted were 2 goals to the good and in full control. Debden hang in the game, but before the break Charlie Daniels completed his hat trick and Andy Macdowell flicked one in at the far post and the game was over by the break.
The second half saw Thaxted in cruise control, Charlie Daniels rounded the keeper on the hour to take it his tally to 35 goals for the season and finish 7 ahead of the nearest top scorer in the league, a great achievement for Charlie.
There was also a first start to the season for Ashley King who has been out with a long term knee injury.
It was a fitting end to the home campaign as Thaxted celebrated in style. One more league game to go and still a Hundon Cup Semi Final to contest.
R Webster, , M Williams, A King, S Vince, D Warwick, M Holmes, A Macdowell, K Richardson, C Pink (capt), C Daniels, C Grout
Subs: K Lock, W Perry, S Mead
Goals: C Daniels (4), A Macdowell

Tue 1 May: Cherry Hinton Res 0 v Thaxted Rangers 5

Following the disappointment of the postponement of Saturday's match at Steeple Morden, with the whole squad having a wasted journey. Thaxted were eager to get on to the pitch, knowing that one win from their remaining 3 matches will guarantee promotion.
Despite it being a midweek fixture, both teams fielded strong sides.
In the opening stages of the game, Cherry Hinton pushed Thaxted back and forced a series of corners. However, Thaxted's defence stood strong and the signs were there that the visitors were looking dangerous on the counter. Tom Clark and Charlie Daniels both having chances early on. A tactical change after 20 minutes saw the introduction of Kieren Lock in the back 3 to add a bit of extra pace and saw Mark Williams move into Midfield. This seem to settle things for Thaxted and from that point there was no real looking back. Shortly afterwards, Chris Grout pounced on some confusion at the back and rifled the ball across the keeper into the corner. Now Thaxted were beginning to take real control and causing all kinds of problems for the Cherry Hinton defence and another goal quickly came when Charlie Daniels went clear and made it 2-0. Just before the break, Charlie was at it again, a good finish to make it 3-0 and put Thaxted in a strong position.
There was no let up in the second half and within 5 minutes, Charlie Daniels broke clear and rounded the keeper to get his hat trick and put the game to bed. Tom Clark added a fifth with a god lob over the on rushing keeper. The defence looked comfortable for the remainder of the match, Ryan Webster in goal rarely troubled, a Shane Vince chest back was the only real save he had to make.
The final whistle was greeted with joyous scenes from the Thaxted players as the realisation was there that they had achieved back to back promotions and would be playing Senior League Football and they did it in style, a fantastic achievement!
R Webster, D Warwick, M Williams, A Murphy (capt), M Holmes, C Grout, A Macdowell, T Sansom, C Pink, C Daniels, T Clark
Subs: K Lock & S Vince
Goals: C Grout, C Daniels 3 & T Clark

Saturday 21 April: West Wratting Res 4 v Thaxted Rangers 0

Thaxted's incredible unbeaten run finally came to an end at the weekend when they went down to soon to be crowned League Winners, West Wratting Res. The run stretches all the way back to November and 13 league games in total.
Thaxted could have gone in front in the very opening seconds of the match when Tom Clark charged down a back pass, but Charlie Daniels was unable to convert the rebound. The hosts though made the most of their chances and were two up by the break.
In the second half, Thaxted breifly rallied with Tom Sansom hitting the bar from a free kick. However, Wratting got the all important third to finish the game off. Another goal in the closing stages and Thaxted's run was over.
Up next for Thaxted is a trip to Steeple Morden.
R Webster, D Warwick, M Williams, A Murphy (capt), M Holmes, C Grout, A Macdowell, K Richardson, C Pink, C Daniels, T Clark
Subs: T Sansom & A King

Thursday 19 April: Milton Res 2 v Thaxted Rangers 2

After all of the bad weather this season, a welcome break at a sun bathed Milton. With 6 regular first team players unable to make the early midweek kick off, this was always going to be a tough game for a strong Milton side and so it proved to be.
Despite every really getting going, Thaxted were creating chances and didn't look in to much trouble at the back. Charlie Daniels could have opened the scoring in the very first minute when he went through on goal. Then Tom Clark smashed the ball against the cross bar from close range. After half hour, Thaxted did go in front, Charlie Daniels jinked in from the left and hit a good low drive back across the keeper and that's the way it stayed until half time. In fact stand in keeper Shane Vince could have made it two with a huge goal kick which caught the keeper out and bounced off the post!
The second half and Milton started to exert some pressure and eventually managed to get a goal back following a bit of scramble in the area. With the heat sapping conditions and a big pitch, the game begun to open up and chances were coming at both ends, but the Thaxted goal was living a bit of a charmed life now, as Milton hit the post and the bar. Then with 10 minutes to go, a good move was finished off by Tom Clark at the far post. However, with five minutes to go, Thaxted gave away a needless corner and were punished when again the ball was scrambled over the line from close range. All things considered, though a draw was a fair reflection on the game.
Thaxted had to show a lot of guts and determination to get through this game, far from being at their best, but still got a very important point. Next up is a trip to West Wratting.
S Vince, K Lock, M Williams, S Mead, M Holmes, T Sansom, A Macdowell, C Pink (capt), M Doble, C Daniels, T Clark
Subs: W Perry & A King
Goals: C Daniels & T Clark

Saturday 14 April: Linton Granta Res 2 v Thaxted Rangers 4

It all started back in September with Thaxted Rangers first league fixture in Div 1a with Linton. Linton taught Thaxted a harsh lesson that day with a 6-2 drubbing. A lot has happened since then and this reverse fixture saw both sides come into the game in good form, with both challenging towards the top of the table.
After a cagey first half hour the game burst into life, with the hosts going in front after half hour, but this triggered a quick fire response from Thaxted scoring 3 goals before the break! First off Tom Clark fired home from close range, then Martyn Doble benefited from a mix up at the back and then Chris Grout ran through and drilled the ball home.
Thaxted continued from where they left off in the second half and added a fourth shortly after the interval, Martyn Doble once again on the scoresheet. Linton did pull one goal back, but Thaxted stayed strong at the back despite late pressure to ensure they stayed top of Division 1a.
A special mention for Ky Richardson who had an outstanding game man marking Linton's danger man.
Next up it's a tough midweek game at Milton for Thaxted.
S Vince, D Warwick, M Williams, A Murphy (capt), M Holmes, C Grout, A Macdowell, K Richardson, C Pink , M Doble, T Clark
Goals: M Doble (2), T Clark & C Grout

Wednesday 11 April: Thaxted Rangers 2 v Hundon 1

This was the first of a number of midweek games for Thaxted, following on from many postponements this season.
They welcomed Hundon from Senior A to the Rec in the Hundon Cup, knowing that despite the two leagues difference, Thaxted had already beaten Hundon in a pre-season friendly back in September 3-1.
It was the home side who settled into the game first and went in front following good work from Myles Holmes, his cross was swept in by Martyn Doble. Then Tom Clark was on hand to put in a rebound and Thaxted were very much in control and playing some good stuff. The visitors threatened briefly before the interval, but Thaxted stood firm.
The second half saw the introduction of Ben Morrell, whose first touch was a spectacular volley from distance that rattled the crossbar. Hundon did get back into it, when a failed clearance was pounced upon, stand in keeper Mark Williams initially saved well, but the ball was forced over the line. Thaxted then saw the game out comfortably and now look forward to a semi final.
S Vince, D Warwick, M Williams, K Lock, M Holmes, C Grout, A Macdowell, K Richardson, C Pink (capt), M Doble, T Clark
Subs: A Murphy, B Morrell, A King
Goals: M Doble & T Clark

Saturday 7 April: Hardwick 1 v Thaxted Rangers 2

Another vital win for Thaxted at the weekend saw them move back to the top of the Division 1a table. However, it went right to the death against a battling Hardwick side.
Thaxted dominated the first half, but didn't make the most of their clear cut chances. Charlie Daniels was very unlucky to see his effort hit the inside of one post, roll along the line and then hit the inside of the other post before bouncing out. Thaxted did however take the lead on the half hour. A neat touch from Charlie Daniels put Andy Macdowell clear and he netted from close range., taking him into double figures for the sesason. Just before the break though, Hardwick hit back with their first real effort on goal. A free kick from the edge of the area was expertly dispatched into the top corner to tie it up at the break.
As the second half wore on, it looked like it was going to be one of those days for Thaxted, particularly when Ky Richardson's header was ruled out after the referee decided that the ball had gone out in the build up. However, with 5 minutes to go, skipper Adam Murphy scored with a backwards header from a Ky Richardson free kick to win the game for Thaxted. There was also some good news with Ashley King making his first appearance of the season in the closing stages following knee surgery.
Next up another big game for Thaxted when they travel to Linton Granta.

R Webster, A Murphy (capt), M Williams, D Warwick, C Grout, M Holmes, A Macdowell, K Richardson, C Pink, T Clark, C Daniels
Subs: M Doble, A King, W Perry
Goals: A Macdowell & A Murphy

Saturday 24 March: Thaxted Rangers 3 v Milton Res 0

The first meeting between these two sides this season and the game very much went with current form.
It took Thaxted about 10 minutes to settle in to the game and then the chances began to flow. Charlie Daniels firstly went close forcing a good save from the keeper. Then shortly afterwards Andy Macdowell headed home from a Chris Grout corner to put the home side one up. Five minutes later another Chris Grout corner saw Charlie Daniels finish with a deft header. Chances were now coming thick and fast and Thaxted were dominant. The game was pretty much put to bed after 30 minutes when Charlie Daniels broke clear and coolly slotted home.
Thaxted managed the game out in the second half, but could have increased their lead Charlie Daniels and Martyn Doble both forcing some outstanding saves from the Milton keeper. Milton did create a couple of openings towards the end of the game, however the Thaxted defence once again were solid as a rock.
This result moves Thaxted to the very top of Division 1a and
next up is a trip to Cherry Hinton for what looks like a very crucial game.
R Webster, A Murphy (capt), S Vince, D Warwick, C Grout, M Holmes, A Macdowell, K Richardson, C Pink, T Clark, C Daniels
Sub: M Doble, T Sansom
Goals: C Daniels 2, A Macdowell

Saturday 10 March: Clare Town 1 v Thaxted Rangers 5

With the Debden postponement, Thaxted and Clare met again, just 2 weeks after Thaxted handed out a 6-1 thrashing to Clare.
It was clear from the outset Clare were out for revenge and took control of the game. Thaxted were pushed back and some list ditch defending by Dan Warwick managed to keep Clare out. However, after 15 minutes, the home side deservedly went in front. A good move culminated in a fierce drive from the edge of the area, which Ryan Webster did well to get a hand to, but could not keepout. Thaxted had some chances before the end of the half, but Clare led at the break and could have been further in front had it not been for some stout defending from Thaxted.
Five minutes into the second half and a key moment in the game. Clare had a player sent off for pushing a Wayne Perry to the ground. Considering the very late tackles dished out by Clare in the first half which went unpunished, the decision to show the red card was surprising. Thaxted had already started the second half and this just added to the momentum that was being built. Martyn Doble and Tom Clark had both gone close before Andy Macdowell unleashed a left foot belter from the edge of the area following good work from Wayne Perry to level the score. Charlie Daniels then went on a run and rounded the keeper to put Thaxted in front, before Andy Macdowell added a third with a header from a Chris Grout corner. Charlie Daniels added a fourth following a good through ball from Chris Pink before completing another hat trick after winning a 50/50 challenge to complete the scoring. It could have been even worse for Clare as they fell apart at the back and Stu Mead almost netted in the closing stages.
Thaxted had to ride out a very tricky first half and a lot of praise most go to the back 3 who kept Thaxted in the game, enabling the second half comeback.
The victory moves Thaxted up to second in the table and firmly puts to bed the memory of last season’s encounter where they led 3-0 at the break, only to end up losing 4-3.
Next up is Milton Res away for Thaxted.
R Webster, A Murphy (capt), S Vince, D Warwick, C Grout, W Perry, A Macdowell, M Doble, C Pink, T Clark, C Daniels
Sub: S Mead
Goals: C Daniels 3, A Macdowell 2

Saturday 24 February: Thaxted Rangers 6 v Clare Town 1

Having been promoted together last season, a healthy rivalry has ensued between Thaxted and Clare, so this game was much anticipated by both sides.
As in recent weeks, Thaxted got off to a quick start when Tom Clark latched on to a cross by Myles Holmes, beat a player and finished well. Thaxted continued to boss the game, but it wasn't till the 40th minute when they went further in front. This time Tom Clark turned provider, as his cross was swept home by Charlie Daniels. Then, just before the break, 16 year old Ky Richardson put Thaxted into a very strong position heading home from close range for his first senior goal to make it 3-0 at the break. Thaxted knew that this game was far from over as it was still fresh in the memory the come back that Clare made last season, when Thaxted were 3-0 up, only to lose 4-3!
However, the game was pretty much put to bed in the opening minutes of the second half. Another great cross from Tom Clark and the ball was diverted into his own net by the Clare defender. Thaxted were now in cruise control, Charlie Daniels made it 5, before a great delivery from Chris Grout was met at the far post by Andy Macdowell to make it 6. There was also time for Thaxted to blood another 16 year old, Chariman's son, Tom Corbey making his senior debut.
This was almost the complete performance, solid at the back, tigerish in midfield and deadly in front of goal. However there was a very late consolation for Clare to spoil the clean sheet.
Thaxted 's incredible home form has seen them score 29 goals in the last 4 home games and this win now sees them leap frog over Clare into 3rd place in Division 1a. Next up at Thaxted Rec is local rivals Debden.
R Webster, K Lock, A Murphy (capt), D Warwick, C Grout, M Holmes, A Macdowell, K Richardson, C Pink, T Clark, C Daniels
Subs: W Perry, M Doble, T Corbey
Goals: C Daniels, 2, T Clark, K Richardson, A Macdowell & OG

Saturday 17 February: Exning Utd 1 v Thaxted Rangers 1

It was only 2 weeks ago when these two met, Thaxted running out 7-2 winners. However, that didn't tell the whole story, as the game was a lot tighter than the scoreline suggests.
Thaxted picked up from where they left off following last weeks 10-1 demolition of Duxford. Within the opening minutes Charlie Daniels broke clear and squared to Maryn Doble for what looked like a tap in, but Martyn missed from close in. However, just a few minutes later and the visitors were in front, Charlie Daniels broke clear again and finished well one on one with the keeper. Thaxted continued to go forward in search of the second, but as the half wore on, the home side came more into it. Exning were now having quite a lot of possession but not really causing Thaxted too many problems.
In the second half, Thaxted picked up again and started going for Exning, but could not get the all important second goal and as is often the case, with Thaxted on top, Exning broke away and picked up a penalty when Dan Warwick brought down the Exning striker. The penalty was duly dispatched, 1-1.
Thaxted started to pour forward in search of the winner, Charlie Daniels hit a post and Tom Sansom and Tom Clark all had opportunities to win the game, but some good goal keeping and heroic defending kept Thaxted out. In fact, it could have been worse for the visitors, in the dying moments Exning broke away and could have snatched when the Exning pulled his shot narrowly wide.
Up next for Thaxted is the eagerly awaited visit of fellow promotees, Clare.
R Webster, A Murphy (capt), W Paget, D Warwick, C Grout, M Holmes, A Macdowell, K Richardson, C Pink, M Doble, C Daniels
Subs: T Sansom, T Clark
Goal: C Daniels

Saturday 10 February: Thaxted Rangers 10 v Duxford United 1

Thaxted were looking to avenge the 2-1 defeat suffered at the hands of Duxford earlier in the season, where Thaxted had probably their worst display of the season. Conditions at the rec were difficult, a swamp like pitch with rain and hale, but it was Thaxted who adjusted and made sure it was going to be a day to remember!
After a fairly even start Thaxted went in front after 15 minutes, when Charlie Daniels netted following a long throw from Mark Williams. Duxford got back into it quickly though and levelled shortly afterwards. Then followed a period where the visitors were on top. However, shortly before the interval, Thaxted regained control and another goal from Charlie Daniels and one from strike partner Martyn Doble made it 3-1 at the break.
An early goal in the second half from Charlie Daniels to complete a hat trick, ensured victory and then it was just a matter of how many Thaxted would get. Now they were rampant as they took Duxford apart, Andy Macdwoll blazed over from close range and Tom Clark hit a post with a great effort. Further goals did come through from Martyn Doble (2), Charlie Daniels (penalty) and a hat trick for midfielder Chris Pink (including one penalty) finished the demolition and broke records along the way. It's the first time Thaxted have had 3 players score a hat trick in the same game and it equaled their highest victory, which was recorded in 2009 when they beat Comberton by the same margin. There were in fact 4 survivors who featured in that game at the weekend, Charlie Daniels, Mark Perry, Wayne Perry and John Selby. A momentous day for Thaxted!
S Vince, A Murphy (capt), M Williams, D Warwick, C Grout, M Holmes, A Macdowell, K Lock, C Pink, M Doble, C Daniels
Subs: M Perry, T Clark, W Perry, J Selby
Goals: C Daniels 4 (1 pen), M Doble 3, C Pink 3 (1 pen)

Saturday 3rd February: Thaxted Rangers 7 v Exning Utd 2

It was the visitors who started brightly, but then suddenly Thaxted burst into life. First off a great move, which culminated in a Tom Sansom header that was tapped home by Charlie Daniels that was ruled out for offside. However, it didn't take long before the same combination to put the ball in the back of the net, Charlie squaring for Tom to tap home and this time it stood. Within a couple of minutes it was 2-0, a good through ball from Chris Pink and Charlie Daniels finished in the far corner. The game then became a bit end to end, with Exning still looking dangerous. Charlie Daniels then had a great chance to make it 3, but from close range hit the post. Andy Macdowell then flicked on for Charlie to finish to make it 3-0. Then Charlie raced clear and rounded the keeper to make it 4 to complete his hat trick. Then just before the break Charlie was scythed down and then took the resulting penalty to make it 5-0.
The second half began with Exning on the attack and credit has to go to the visitors, many teams would have rolled over at 5 down at half time but not Exning. They were rewarded early on in the half when a snap shot from the edge of the area pulled a goal back. This certainly lifted the visitors who then started to put more pressure on and on the hour pulled another goal back with a header from a corner. Thaxted begun to look a bit shaky and Ryan Webster had to pull off an unbelievable save to stop Exning getting right back in it. With 15 minutes to go, Thaxted made sure of it when Charlie Daniels squared for Martyn Doble to tap home from close range, Then Andy Macdowell was felled in the box and this time Martyn Doble did the honours and slotted home from the penalty spot.
A strange game as Exning certainly played a big part in this and looked dangerous throughout, yet another fine result for Thaxted who now move up to 5th in the table.
Thaxted will be looking to avenge the defeat earlier on in the season to Duxford when they welcome them to the Rec this Saturday.
R Webster, A Murphy (capt), W Paget, M Williams, C Grout, T Sansom, K Richardson, A Macdowell, C Pink, M Doble, C Daniels
Subs: D Warwick, S Vince
Goals: C Daniels 4 (1 pen), M Doble 2 (1 pen) & T Sansom

Saturday 20th January: Debden 1 v Thaxted Rangers 1

Despite Thaxted starting the game well, it was the home side who took the lead with 10 minutes on the clock. A corner was initially cleared, but the ball back in was stood up to the back post and Adam Porter headed home at the far post. It was the home side who seemed me up for it in the first half, but Thaxted still had openings to get back into it. Charlie Daniels, Tom Clark and Ky Richardson all had opportunities. Debden 1 up at the break.
Early in the second half, Mark Williams had to go off injured following a two footed tackle which went unpunished. However, Thaxted were now showing more determination in the atrocious conditions. As the half wore on, it was wave after wave of attack for Thaxted. With 20 minutes to go, a shot from just inside the area was handled on the line, but the referee adjudged it to be unintentional, much to the dismay of the Thaxted faithful. However, the pressure eventually told when Chris Pink headed home from a corner for his first goal of the season. Thaxted continued to press for the winner in the closing stages and good link up play between Tom Sansom and Charlie Daniels, resulted in Charlie racing clear, however the keeper made a good save to keep it all level.
It's another derby for Thaxted this weekend with Ashdon the visitors, where Thaxted will be looking to avenge the last gasp defeat from earlier in the season.
R Webster, A Murphy (capt), K Lock, M Williams, C Grout, M Holmes, K Richardson, A Macdowell, C Pink, T Clark, C Daniels
Subs: D Warwick, W Lawrence, T Sansom
Goal: C Pink

Saturday 13th January: Alconbury 3 v Thaxted Rangers 1

Thaxted made the long journey north knowing they were in for a stern test against table topping Alconbury.
It was the visitors who seemed to settle first and could possibly have gone down with the quickest goal of the season. There was barely 10 seconds on the clock, when Charlie Daniels ran clear and put the ball past the keeper only to be judged offside. For the next 15-20 minutes, it was all Thaxted. Charlie Daniels broke clear again, but was foiled by the keeper and Andy Macdowell could have done better with two clear headers. Then the home side seemed to settle and put together a good move that led to a great save by Ryan Webster, only for the rebound to slotted home, 1-0 to the home side. Within 10 minutes it was two, as Alconbury took control. A corner from the left, saw the home striker head home unchallenged. Thaxted then came back at Alconbury and had a good spell prior to the break, Charlie Daniels linked up well with Martyn Doble and as Charlie rounded the keeper he was pulled down, penalty to Thaxted. Up stepped Charlie Daniels and he made no mistake, 2-1 at the break.
Second half and once again, Thaxted were nearly off to a flyer, Charlie Daniels broke clear and one on one with the keeper failed to convert, the keeper saving well. The game was fairly even at this stage and it was difficult to see which way the game was going to go. However, the all important 4th goal of the game came in the 65th minute and once again Thaxted were caught out with an unchallenged header and Alconbury were now back in firm control. Thaxted worked hard for the remainder of the game, trying to get back into it. Tom Clark coming close on his return to first team action, but it wasn't to be.
A good match for the neutral and one which Thaxted fully played it's part. Another good cup run for Thaxted, but as last year it ends in the quarter finals.
Back to League action at the weekend and a local derby against Debden to look forward to.
R Webster, A Murphy (capt), K Lock, M Williams, C Grout, M Holmes, K Richardson, A Macdowell, C Pink, M Doble, C Daniels
Subs: T Sansom, S Mead, T Clark
Goal: C Daniels (pen)

Saturday 6th January: Thaxted Rangers 6 v Balsham 0

It's been over a month since Thaxted last played, mainly due to postponements and Thaxted were now well behind on fixtures and had slipped to second from bottom. So 3 points was essential from this fixture.
A scare in the opening minutes for Thaxted when Balsham should have gone in front, a corner from left and the Balsham player blazed over from a few yards out. The home side then started to get on top, a great cross from Myles Holmes and Charlie Daniels headed against the post from close range. Charlie then made up for it and took the ball round the keeper and put Thaxted in front
Then Andy Macdowell chested the ball down for Charlie Daniels who volleyed the ball home giving the keeper no chance. So Thaxted in control at the break.
Shortly after the break a header from Keiren Lock settled the game as a contest. Further chances came and went, Andy Macdowell hitting the bar before Martyn Doble added a 4th on the hour finishing off a good move. Then controversy as sub Tom Sansom appeared to hit the post from an acute angle with the ball bouncing straight into the arms of the keeper, however the Thaxted players close to the incident were celebrating a goal as the ball had hit the inside of the wheel on the brackets of the inside of the goal and bounced out. However, neither the referee or the linesman saw what happened. However Tom made sure when he blasted the ball home on his first team debut a few minutes later to make it 5. Just to round things off Charlie Daniels netted in the closing stages to complete his hat trick. Player Manager, John Selby also entered the fray in the final stages and appeared to energise the team in the brief spell he was on the pitch with the two late goals being added.
Thaxted literally had to weather a bit of a storm just before the break, had Balsham scored then, it could have been a different story. A very strong devensive display laid the foundations on what was a very important win.
Up next for Thaxted, the long trip to Alconbury in the quarter finals of the cup.

R Webster, A Murphy (capt), K Lock, M Williams, C Grout, M Holmes, K Richardson, A Macdowell, C Pink, M Doble, C Daniels
Subs: T Sansom, L Palmer, J Selby
Goals: C Daniels (3), K Lock, M Doble, T Sansom

Saturday 2nd December: Thaxted Rangers 1 v West Wratting Res 1

Thaxted were looking to bounce back from last weeks disappointing result and performance at Duxford, however it was a very much depleted squad again due to an ever growing injury list.
It was a different Thaxted this week and a well contested first half , it was Thaxted that edged it. Both teams created chances, although, but it was the home side who created the more clear cut. Chris Grout was unfortunate when put through but could not finish one on one with the keeper and Martyn Doble was unlucky to see his effort come off the bar. Thaxted then took the lead after 25 minutes, Andy Macdowell pounced on indecision in the West Wratting defence and put Charlie Daniels in, who cooly slotted home. The visitors then had a good spell and Thaxted had to defend stoutly to hold their lead until the break.
The second half was underway and Thaxted looked solid break and were still creating chances. Charlie Daniels was causing the Wratting defence problems and came close on a number of occasions. Then an enforced substitution unsettled the Thaxted defence and within minutes, Wratting drew level with a tame effort that agonisingly for Thaxted rolled into the corner of the net. Both teams then went for the win, Martyn Doble coming the closest when his volley was deflected on to the bar.
A well earned point for Thaxted and it could have been more. Thaxted now travel to inform Exning side.
R Webster, A Murphy, K Lock, M Williams, D Warwick, M Holmes, K Richardson, A Macdowell, C Grout, M Doble, C Daniels
Sub: C Chapman
Goal: C Daniels

Saturday 25th November: Duxford Utd 2 v Thaxted Rangers 1

Things started badly for Thaxted even before kick off at the weekend, Liam Palmer withdrawing through injury during the warm up. This left the visitors with only player manager, John Selby as cover on the bench.
After a fairly even start, Thaxted went in front after 20 minutes, good interplay between Chris Grout and Charlie Daniels resulted in the latter crossing for Martyn Doble to finish at the far post. Thaxted then pressed to get the all important second goal of the game, Martyn Doble going close again with a header. However, the visitors had already been caught a couple of times on the break and had to rely on Ryan Webster to come to the rescue. Then on the third occasion, Duxford made Thaxted pay, when they broke up the play in the midfield and the Duxford striker broke clear and finished well. So all square at the break.
The start of the 2nd half saw Thaxted start brightly and Charlie Daniels was unlucky when he saw his close range effort come back off of the post. However as the half wore on it was Duxford he looked the more likely and with 20 minutes to go, the left winger cut in from the right and hit a curling effort into the top corner. Thaxted tried to respond, but Duxford showed a great desire to hold on to their lead and Thaxted ran out of ideas.
A very disappointing display from Thaxted, who will need to improve significantly at the weekend when they host league leaders, West Wratting Res.
R Webster, A Murphy (capt), M Williams, M Holmes, C Grout, D Warwick, A Macdowell, K Richardson, C Pink, M Doble, C Daniels
Goal: M Doble

Saturday 18th November: Thaxted Rangers 5 v Cherry Hinton Res 4

Thaxted had to come from behind to beat Cherry Hinton after what was a crazy first 45 minutes.
The home side got off to the worst possible start, when the defence was caught cold and the visitors went in front in the first minute. Before Thaxted could get going, things got worse and the visitors went further in front after 10 minutes. Then Charlie Daniels chased down a back pass and managed to block the clearance and was delighted to see the ricochet end up in the back of the net. However, the visitors got their two goal lead back when hesitation in the Thaxted defence let in the Cherry Hinton centre forward to lob Shane Vince in goal. The goals kept on coming and Thaxted got back into it when Liam Palmer laid the ball on to Chris Grout who fired home from close range. Then skipper Adam Murphy powered home a header from a corner and drew Thaxted level. The scoring wasn't over as Cherry Hinton's centre forward was at it again, causing mayhem in the Thaxted defence as he completed his hat trick to put the visitors ahead at the break.
A change at the break and Thaxted came out and started to get a grip on the game. At the back, Thaxted did look stronger, although the visitors did have a glorious chance to put the game to bed. but Will Paget made a last ditch challenge to thwart the danger.
With 15 minutes to go, Thaxted got a slice of luck, William Lawrence hit a speculative effort from 20 yards which took a wicked deflection and spun into the opposite corner of the goal, so all level. Then in the closing minutes, auxiliary centre forward Andy Macdowell, headed home a pin point free kick from Ky Richardson to put Thaxted in the lead for the first time in the game. This was very much a role reversal from the Ashdon game and Thaxted picked up a vital 3 points.
Thaxted will need to improve in the coming weeks as they know they got away with it at the weekend.
S Vince. M Holmes, A Murphy (capt), W Lawrence, C Grout, D Warwick, C Pink, K Richardson, A Macdowell, C Daniels, L Palmer
Sub: W Paget
Goals: C Daniels, C Grout, A Murphy, W Lawrence, A Macdowell

Saturday 11th November: Ramsey Pavillion 2 v Thaxted Rangers (AET) Thaxted Rangers won 5-4 on penalties

Thaxted made the long journey north to Ramsey knowing this was going to be a tough encounter against a Division 2b outfit that had already thrashed 1b opposition in the previous round and that certainly proved to be the case.
After a very tight first half, where both teams pretty much cancelled each other out. The game caught light on the hour, when a cross from the left was flicked on by Liam Palmer and the on rushing Chris Grout fired the ball home. This was quickly followed by a great run and finish by Dan Warwick and the visitors were firmly in the driving seat. However, Ramsey came fighting back and got back in it fairly quickly from a dead ball situation. Then controversy, the ball appeared to go off, the linesman flag was ignored and the ball was pulled back from the by line and slotted home to bring Ramsey level. Then even more controversy with the referee once again in the thick of it. A Ramsey free kick was headed home in the very last minute, the referee saw an offside not seen by the linesman and ruled the goal out, so extra time it was.
Extra time reverted to the first half with both sides defences now on top,so the game went to penalties. After 5 penalties, both teams had missed one, so into sudden death. Ramsey took theirs first and Ryan Webster saved well. Up stepped skipper Adam Murphy to send Thaxted through.
So Thaxted march into the last 8 of the tournament where they will meet Alconbury.
R Webster, A Murphy (capt), K Long M Holmes, C Grout, D Warwick, C Pink, K Richardson, A Macdowell, M Doble, C Daniels
Subs: L Palmer, S Mead
Goals: C Grout, D Warwick

Saturday 28th October: Thaxted Rangers 3 v Steeple Morden 1

Thaxted were looking to bounce back following last week’s last minute defeat.
After a fairly even opening, it was the visitors that went in front after 20 minutes witha superb 25 yard free kick which looped over Ryan Webster in goal. Thaxted were handed a lifeline though just before the break when Andy Macdowell pounced on a poor back pass and slotted the ball home.
The second half saw Thaxted came out of the blocks fast and eventually went in front and once again it was Andy Macdowell, who smashed the ball home from close range following two goal mouth scrambles. Then two nasty injuries delayed the game, firstly the Steeple Morden striker fell badly and broke his arm. Then shortly afterwards Thaxtd defender, Miles McCarthy went over badly suffering a nasty knee injury. Then deep into injury time, with Morden throwing caution to the wind and the keeper up, Thaxted broke away and Myles Holmes capped off a fine display when he stroked the ball into an empty net from just inside the Morden half.
This was a determined and gutsy display from Thaxted who managed to overcome a very physical Morden outfit. Next up for Thaxted is a trip to Ramsey in the cup in two weeks time.
R Webster, W Paget, S Vince, M McCarthy, D Warwick, M Holmes, A Murphy (capt), A Macdowell, C Pink, M Anthony, M Doble
Subs: C Grout, L Palmer
Goals: A Macdowell 2 & M Holmes

Saturday 21st October: Ashdon Villa 4 v Thaxted Rangers 3

This was an eagerly awaited fixture for both sets of players, it's been a few years since the two teams have met and this one didn't disappoint. Unfortunately though for Thaxted, they were edged out of it in this seven goal thriller.
The first half saw the visitors mainly in control and deservedly went in front after 20 minutes when Matt Anthony cut inside from the left and hit an unstoppable low drive. Both sides had chances in the remainder of the half, however it was 1-0 to Thaxted at the break.
The second half saw Ashdon get back into on the hour with a good individual goal. However, Thaxted responded quickly and Matt Anthony was in on goal when the keeper pulled him down. Kieran Lock stepped up to cooly slot away the spot kick. However, Ashdon then levelled once again when Miles McCarthy was unfortunate when trying to clear a cross deflected the ball into his own net. Then for the third time in the game, Thaxted went in front with a superb effort from Matt Anthony who managed to finish from a very acute angle. But Thaxted's joy was short lived as Ashdon equalised with a header from a corner. The game then appeared to be petering out towards a draw, then in the last minute of the match a cross from the right was met with a diving header to leave Thaxted licking the wounds in a game they had never been behind in.
Thaxted will be looking to bounce back this weekend with a home league game against Steeple Morden.
R Webster, A Murphy (capt), M McCarthy, S Vince, M Holmes, D Warwick, K Lock, K Richardson, C Pink, M Doble, M Anthony
Subs: S Mead, A Macdowell, L Palmer

Saturday 14th October: Thaxted Rangers 2 v Linton Granta Res 0 (Cup)

Thaxted stretched their unbeaten run to four games at the weekend and in doing so avenged the opening 6-2 defeat at the hands of Linton.
Right from the off, Thaxted took control and could easily have been two up in the first five minutes when Matt Anthony hit the bar and the post. Then a double blow after just 20 minutes, Mark Williams on his first full game back from injury, landed badly and had to go off, then within minutes, Charlie Daniels went off with a calf problem. This did not phase Thaxted who continued to edge the contest.
The home side had to wait though till the 50th minute, when Ky Richardson won the ball in the midfield, fed the ball to Myles Holmes who put in a pinpoint cross for Matt Anthony who headed home in fine style. Then just minutes later a nonchalant free kick from Dan Warwick was headed home by Shane Vince, putting Thaxted firmly in the driving seat. Linton did push Thaxted in the closing stages and Ryan Webster had to pull off some good saves as well as a last ditch tackle from Adam Murphy ensured Thaxted's passage through to the last 16 of the cup.
An energetic and tenacious display from Thaxted who now travel to Ashdon for another local derby.
R Webster, S Mead, A Hancock, S Vince, M Williams, K Richardson, C Pink (capt), D Warwick, M Holmes, C Daniels, M Anthony
Subs: A Murphy, M Doble, M McCarthy
Goals: M Anthony and S Vince

Saturday 7th October: Balsham 1 v Thaxted Rangers 1

Thaxted became the first time to take any points off of Balsham at the weekend, but left it late in doing so.
The visitors started well, but the first real opening came to the home side, when the Balsham striker went one on one with Ryan Webster, the Thaxted keeper winning the duel. For the remainder of the half though, it was pretty much one way traffic, Chris Grout, Charlie Daniels, Andy Macdowell and Martyn Doble all having good openings. As is often the case though, when a side fails to take their chances, they got caught with a sucker punch right before the half time whistle. A swift break from Balsham and the deadlock was broken.
In the second half it was the home side who started well and Thaxted had to thank Ryan Webster for a couple of very good saves. Then in the last 20 minutes Thaxted started to turn the screw, hitting the bar, the post and having a goal disallowed. Matt Anthony also missing out on a one on one with the keeper. It was then left to the very last minute when Charlie Daniels forced the ball over the line as it came back off of the post again to earn Thaxted a well earned point.
Thaxted not at their best, but still the better side. It's Linton up next in the cup and opportunity to avenge the opening day defeat.
R Webster, A Murphy (capt), K Lock, M McCarthy, M Holmes, D Warwick, A Macdowell, K Richardson, C Grout, M Doble, C Daniels
Subs: M Anthony, M Williams, A Potter
Goal: C Daniels

Saturday 30th September: Thaxted Rangers 5 v Hardwick 1

Thaxted were looking to build on their recent away win at local rivals Debden and got off to a flying start against Hardwick. Charlie Daniels was awarded a spot kick after being felled by the keeper, following a long goal kick from Ryan Webster. Charlie got up to take the kick and put the home side one goal to the good. The visitors got back into the game and deservedly pulled one back with a near post header. After 20 minutes, Thaxted were back in front when Myles Holmes was able to force the ball home from close range following a great save from the keeper. The home side were now causing Hardwick all kinds of problems and were soon further in front, when Andy Macdowell scored with a trademark bullet header. Thaxted made it four before the break, when Shane Vince steered the ball home following a goal mouth scramble.
In the second half the home side were in complete control and had numerous chances to extend their lead, but had to settle for just the one goal and that came from a Kieran Lock header following a pin point free kick from 16 year old Ky Richardson. Charlie Daniels was denied by an outstanding stop and Matt Anthony saw a thumping drive come back off the bar.
Two outstanding displays from the wing backs Dan and Mylo and overall a comfortable win for Thaxted. There will no doubt face a sterner test when they take on Balsham at the weekend.
R Webster, W Paget, M McCarthy, S Vince, D Warwick, M Holmes, A Macdowell, K Richardson, C Pink (capt), M Doble, C Daniels
K Lock, C Grout, A Murphy, M Anthony, J Kichenbrand
Goals: C Daniels (pen), M Holmes, A Macdowell, S Vince, K Lock

Sat 16th September: Debden 0 v Thaxted Rangers 3 (Cup)

This was the perfect game for Thaxted following last weeks opening defeat, a cup derby against local rivals Debden.
From the outset it was a different Thaxted from last week, quick into the challenge and taking control of the game. A good examples of this was in only the second minute, Miles McCarthy, intercepted a pass and strode forward from the back and then hlt a belter from 25 yards which dipped in over the keeper and Thaxted were off to a flyer. The same pattern continued throughout the half and Thaxted continued to press and create openings. Then on 25 minutes good interplay between Charlie Daniels and Matt Anthony saw Charlie bury the ball in the back of the net from 15 yards. Thaxted had further opportunities to go ahead, Matt Anthony and Dan Warwick all going close. Debden did have the ball in the back of the net, but the ball had already gone out before the cross came in. Ryan Webster was called into action and did well to thwart an attempt from Zak Rayner, so 2-0 to the visitors at the break.
The second half saw Thaxted maintain control of the game without reaching the heights they did in the first half and were now playing more on the counter. Thaxted put the game to bed just over the hour when a towering header from Andy Macdowell gave the keeper no chance. Charlie Daniels came very close towards the end when his effort went narrowly wide following a long mazy run. Stuart Mead also got in on the action too, when a glancing header came thumping off the bar.
A big difference this week was the defensive display which was very solid. Will Paget in particular had an outstanding game, keeping Zak Rayner very quiet.
It's Linton Granta Res at home in the next round of the Cup and an opportunity to avenge the opening day defeat.
R Webster, W Paget, M McCarthy, S Vince, M Holmes, D Warwick, K Richardson, A Macdowell, C Pink (capt), M Anthony, C Daniels
Subs: C Grout, S Mead
Goals: M McCarthy, C Daniels, A Macdowell

Sat 9th September: Thaxted Rangers 2 v Linton Granta Res 6

This wasn't the start to life in 1a that Thaxted were looking for. In fact in the very first minute the visitors should have gone in front when a break down the left and a good cross was met by the striker who blazed over. Thaxted though did not heed the warning and once again a break down the left and the Linton winger shrugged off challenges before hitting the back of the net, 0-1. Thaxted struggled to get going, perhaps the fact that Linton had played the week before was a factor and it was the visitors who went further ahead after 15 minutes, when the centre forward held off challenges before netting. Thaxted threatened to get back into it, Charlie Daniels went close, Dan Warwick hit the top of the bar and a ferocious strike from Myles Holmes was superbly tipped over the bar. However, just before the break, Linton made it 3 and left Thaxted with a mountain to climb, a good cross in and Shane Vince in ensuring he got there before the Linton striker looped the ball over the keepers head and into the net, 0-3.
So a couple of changes at the break and a change in formation and Thaxted came out a different side. The home side were now beginning to exert some pressure and testing the Granta defence. They were rewarded after 10 minutes when a Charlie Daniels free kick was deflected in. Thaxted continued to press, but were finding it difficult to get round a stubborn Linton defence. Then with 10 minutes to go, Charlie Daniels looped in another free kick and it was now all to play for, 2-3. Within a few minutes, Thaxted got a free kick in a good position, Chris Grout took it but didn't get past the first man, Linton broke away and an opportunity to clear was missed and the striker ran clear and eased the ball past Dan Latham and knocked the stuffing out of Thaxted, 2-4. In the last five minutes, a corner went straight in and a lob made it 2-6 which was a bit tough on Thaxted.
Thaxted have the opportunity to bounce back this weekend in the Cup with a local derby away to Debden.
D Latham, A Murphy (capt), M McCarthy, S Vince, M Holmes, D Warwick, A Macdowell, C Pink, C Grout, C Daniels, M Anthony
Subs: O Blower, S Mead, A Potter
Goals: C Daniels (2)

Manager: John Selby
phone: 07580 127834

Senior Coach:

Assistants: Steve Selves

Training Schedule:

Coming Fixtures:
3 x Team Tournament on 28th May @ 1400

Team Sponsor:
Sports Corrective Therapy

Charlie Daniels
Stuart Mead
John Selby
Al Potter
Chris Grout
Andy Macdowell
Ryan Webster
Chris Pink
Dan Warwick
Adam Murphy
Shane Vince
Mark Williams
Myles Holmes
Ashley King
Dan Latham
Tom Clark
Liam Palmer
Ky Richardson
Miles McCarthy
Kieren Lock
Martyn Doble
Will Paget
Tom Sansom
Ben Morrell